Don’t sweat it this summer, because there’s a new treatment at Village Dermatology! miraDry® permanently treats underarm sweat, odor and hair. Below, Dr. Fening has answered your questions about this exciting new procedure. Appointments start July 1st, so book your consult now at 205.877.9773!
1. What is miraDry? miraDry is an FDA-cleared, non-surgical solution for axillary hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. It is a device that uses thermal energy to destroy the glands that produce sweat and odor. This results in a dramatic reduction of underarm sweating, odor, and hair growth. The average reduction in sweating from one treatment is 82 percent.
2. Who is a candidate? Patients who are bothered by underarm sweating and/or have been diagnosed with axillary hyperhidrosis are candidates for the treatment. miraDry is not recommended for patients who have an active infection, are pregnant/breastfeeding, form keloid scars, cannot tolerate local anesthesia or who have a history of surgery and/or scarring in the treatment area.
3. How many treatments do you need? You can expect immediate results with one treatment, and most patients will require only one to two treatments. Rarely, some patients will require more than two treatments.
4. Are results permanent? Yes! Once the sweat and odor glands are eliminated, they do not grow back.
5. Does the treatment hurt? A local anesthetic is used to numb the treatment area prior to the procedure. While there may be some discomfort associated with administration of the local anesthetic, the procedure itself is nearly painless.
6. Is there any downtime with miraDry? After the procedure, it is normal to experience swelling and soreness. Ice packs and over-the-counter pain medications are recommended to help with these symptoms. Many patients are able to return to normal activity immediately, but others may take a day after the procedure to rest and recover. Exercise may be resumed after several days.
7. How long does the office visit take? One treatment typically lasts about an hour. Plan to be in our office from one and a half to two hours.